Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I would like to examine the role of the Zen Buddhist temple in modern Japanese society. How are temples related to the neighborhoods in which they exist and what functions do they perform for their society? How does the social role temples relate to its religious objectives? How is this different from Western conceptions of Japanese Zen Buddhism?
I would like to focus on one or possibly two temples around Tokyo. I would like to interview officials at the temple such as monks, clerical workers, etc. and people who frequent the temple. From the interviews, I would like to have an oral history of the temple as well as a discussion of what the temple and Zen Buddhism in general means to people. I would like to understand how people's religious beliefs are reflected in their daily activities. The final project form will be a documentary.

No comments: