Thursday, January 25, 2007

Study Question #1

I have been in Tokyo for three weeks now and so far, adjusting to life here has been a difficult experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not homesick; I'm actually really happy here. I have seen a lot of cool things, met some great people and had a lot of interesting adventures thus far. However, I am discovering that I don't persay like Tokyo very much. Perhaps I was never meant to be a city person, I miss trees a lot, but I think Tokyo is different from a lot of American cities I've seen.
First of all, sometimes Japanese can be really obnoxious. I don't feel welcome at all when 10 high pitched girls all yell "irasshaimase" in sync whenever I walk into a shop or restaurant. And, sometimes I feel like all the flashing lights and are going to give me a serious headache. Crowds are pushy and everyone seems very hurried and impersonal. I have noticed though that when you talk to people here that impersonal manner vanishes instantly and everyone I have met here has been incredibly helpful and friendly.
The buildings, for the most part, are pretty ugly. I think that Ritchie would agree that the Japanese like their structures to be highly functional. Aesthetic consderations often seem to be secondary. For example, the triple highways you see everywhere are huge and gray and very displeasing to look at. I can see why things like triple highways and clearly marked footbridges are useful but it would be nice if they could be prettier. I think the impermanence that Ritchie discusses is based in this functional approach. Once a building is not being ultimately purposeful it is torn down, and a new, more useful structure is erected. The subway is a perfect example of the Tokyo mindset, perfectily on time and spotlessly clean. This city functions like a well oiled machine.
Of course, there are the places in Tokyo I love, delicious restuarants you can only find by going six flights up, my little neigborhood which strikes a perfect balance between a big city atmosphere and wonderfuly quaint, and the shrines and temples you come across whenever you're walking around. I love that there is always more to see and more new places to explore. Even on my walk home from school I see new things everyday. And perhaps by living here I will begin to see the differences between places. Tokyo was founded, after all, not as a cohesive city but as a group of small neighborhoods. One day I will be able to distinguish the tall buildings and bright lights from each other and start to see the different areas of Tokyo for their individual characteristics and charms. I think on that day, the meaning of this city will change for me and I will begin to feel like I truly live here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow ! only few weeks in Tokyo ! were did you learned your japanese ?